Last updated on 27 November 2023
The venue for the Club is Gosport & Fareham Rugby Football Club, Dolphin Crescent, Gosport, PO12 2HE. Further details, including links to a map, are given on the Location page. All dates are Wednesdays and gigs will start at 8pm and end at 10:30 unless stated otherwise, usually with two short intervals.
Attendees can now pay their entrance fee and for their raffle tickets by debit/credit card. The Rugby Club does not accept cash, so you can only pay by credit/debit card for items at the bar.
Space is limited and, whilst casual guests are always welcome, booking is advisable – please contact Vicky Newman on 023 9242 9302 (if Vicky is not there please leave a message on the answerphone together with a number to call back or email Vicky Newman at GJCreserve@gmail.com. (Note: the answerphone message is dual purpose & will mention ‘Brunel Carers’ then ‘Gosport Jazz Club’).
It is also requested that Members attending advise Vicky or Roger and Lesley of their intention (and, please, not on the day) so that the table layout and numbers can be adjusted accordingly for each meeting.
The following Gigs are programmed:
29th – Lonnie Donegan Story
13th – Sarah Spencer’s Transatlantic Jazz Band – Christmas event.
17th – Jazz Café – A gypsy style group who are new to Gosport JC.
31st – The Big Easy – Leeds based 7-piece Swing band
13th – Chris Newman’s Georgia Ramblers – Tribute to Nat Gonella
17th – Bob Dwyer’s Bix ‘n’ Pieces
Below is a list of Gigs already held, from January 2018 to the present. Due to Covid-19 there was a gap, when no gigs were held, between 4 March 2020 and 22 September 2021.
Clicking on the month of a Gig already held will direct you to the Photos and Reviews of the gig held in that month.
A list of Gigs from 2009, until December 2018 is available in Excel, Libre Office and Portable Document (.pdf) formats. The Excel & Libre Office versions also give an alphabetically arranged List of Bands as an extra worksheet with the dates they performed but the PDF version only gives the List of Gigs – see the List of Bands and their dates in PDF format.
15th – John Maddocks Jazzmen
18th – Gambit Jazzmen
6th – No gig this week – it’s holiday time!
20th – Sussex Jazz Kings
27th (an extra event) – Storyville Jass Band from Holland
August 2023th – Graham Collicott’s Hershey and the Hot Shots
rd – Tad Newton’s Jazz Friends – New to Gosport JC.
12th – Chris Newman’s Georgia Ramblers
Tim Eyles’ Mardi Gras
17th – Acoustic Jass
31st – Sarah Spencer’s Transatlantic Jazz Band featuring guest Jesper Capion Larsen from Denmark on clarinet
19th – Chris Walker’s Pedigree Jazz Band
22nd – Excelsior Vintage Jazz with Cuff Billett
22nd – Chris Newman’s Georgia Ramblers
25th – Andy Woon’s All Stars
7th – Graham Collicott’s Hershey and the Hot Shots
21st – Xmas Party Gig – John Maddocks Jazzmen
12th – Lonnie Donegan Story – The Story and Songs of Lonnie Donegan’s rise to fame as “The King of Skiffle” – Britain’s most inspirational star before the Beatles. Featuring Warren James on Guitar and Banjo, the Jazz Ace – Jim Swinnerton – on the Bass , the top New Orleans Drumming of Baby Jools, plus special guest, the BBC Young Musician of the Year, award winning Saxophonist and Clarinettist, Alex Clarke.
26th – Tim Eyles’ Mardi Gras
28th – Storyville Jassband (from Holland)
17th – Chris Walker’s Pedigree Jazz Band
31st – No gig this week – All on holiday!
20th – Sarah Spencer’s Transatlantic Band
22nd – Excelsior Vintage Jazz led by Cuff Billett
11th – Andy Woon’s All Stars – a different line-up from his Vintage 5, comprising Andy on cornet, Trevor Whiting (reeds), Pete Godfrey (piano] and, both new to Gosport JC, Jarrod Elks (guitar) & Paul Witten (bass).
27th – Panama Café Orchestra
16th – Chris Newman’s Georgians – a Tribute to Nat Gonella – Line-up of Chris Newman (keyboard), Pete Dorday (trumpet), Derek Little (reeds), Tony Carter – late substitution (baritone saxophone), Trevor Britton [double bass) & Chris Ford (drums)
30th – Acoustic Jass – new to Gosport
2nd – Bob Dwyer’s Bix ‘n’ Pieces – a different line-up with Bob Dwyer (trombone) as usual, plus well known (at Gosphttp://www.gosportjazz.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/IMG_2392-Jan-22a.jpgort) Hugh Crozier (keyboard) and Graham Collicott (drums) but new to Gosport, Mike (Magic) Henry [cornet), Paula Jackman (reeds) and Marc Easener (sousaphone).
16th – Sussex Jazz Kings
19th – John Maddocks Jazzmen
15th – Christmas Party gig – Harry Strutters Hot 6 with Gloria Miller
17th – Tony Waller’s Prohibition Jazz Band.
20th – Kevin Grenfell’s Giants of Jazz
22nd – Our very own Chris Newman’s Georgia Ramblers plus Chris Gower on trombone.
There was a very long gap between March 2020 and September 2021 when there were no gigs due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- 4th – Roger Marks’ Cornish Armada – Nat Gonella commemoration gig
- 11th – Sussex Jazz Kings – Christmas Party
- 2nd – Slide by Slide – Kevin Grenfell (from the Jazz Giants) & Richard Leach on trombones
- 16th – New Orleans Jazz Bandits
- 30th – Chris Newman’s Georgia Ramblers
- 7th – Frog Island Jazz Band – first visit to Gosport Jazz Club this century!
- 21st – Jeff Barnhart‘s Sweet & Hot Quartet
- 10th – Nick Ward’s Jelly Rollers
- 17th – Annual General Meeting followed by a talk on Jazz history by Chris Newman.
- 24th – Black Cat Jazz Band
- 1st – Kevin Grenfell’s Jazz Giants
- 15th – ‘Tiger’ Tim Eyles’ Ragamuffins
- 29th – Sunset Café Stompers
- 6th – Dave Moorwood’s Rascal’s of Rhythm – Nat Gonnella Commemoration Gig
- 20th – Excelsior Vintage Jazz Band
- 6th – Henry & Minnie’s Old-Style (Rubber) Band – Sarah Spencer & Graham Collicott
- 20th – Tony Waller and His Prohibition Jazz Band
- 9th – Cuff Billett’s New Europa Jazz Band
- 23rd – The Sopranos (Saxophones) – Chris Pearce & Andy Leggett
- 12th – Golden Eagle Jazz Band – Christmas Party Night
- 14th – Chris Walker’s Pedigree Jazz Band
- 28th – Chris Newman’s Georgia Ramblers with Chris Gower & Julie Horton
- 3rd – Martin Bennett’s Old Green River Band
- 17th – Bob Dwyer’s Bix and Pieces
- 31st – Savannah Jazz Band
- 5th – Jeff Barnhart’s Sweet & Hot Quartet
- 19th – Gwyn Lewis’s Old Boy Stompers – From Sweden – another band new to Gosport Jazz Club
- 8th – John Maddocks Jazzmen
- 22nd – ‘Tiger’ Tim Eyles’ Ragamuffins
- 11th – Sussex Jazz Kings
- 18th – Annual General Meeting (starting at 7pm) plus talk by Chris Walker on Nat King Cole
- 25th – Dart Valley Stompers
- 13th – Panama Café Orchestra
- 27th – Apex Jazz Band
- 2nd – Storyville Jassband from Holland – another first time at Gosport Jazz Club
- 16th – New Orleans Jazz Bandits
- 30th – Matt Palmer’s Eagle Jazzband
- 4th – Roger Marks’ Cornish Armada
- 18th – Slide by Slide – Richard Leach & Kevin Grenfell (from the Jazz Giants) on trombones
- 7th – Graham Smith’s Jazz Allsorts – Nat Gonella’s birthday commemoration gig
- 21st – Mike Denham’s Sunset Café Stompers
- 28th – Doc Houlind’s Revival All Stars from Copenhagen – first time at Gosport Jazz Club
- 10th – Chris Pearce Jazz Band
- 24th – FB Pocket Orchestra